Google
 

Friday, December 10, 2010

All Hebrew Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein



Where the Sidewalk Ends (1974) is a collection of children's poetry written and illustrated by Shel Silverstein. The book's poems address many common childhood concerns and also presents purely fanciful stories. The first edition was originally copyrighted in 1974 and published by Harper and Row Publishers.

600 South Holly Suite 103
Denver, Colorado 80246
303-322-7345
800-830-8660

I remember this book in the second grade! Wow, that was a long time ago. I remember enjoying the poems very much. Well, I stumbled upon this book a few weeks ago and decided to read them again. It had been quite some time. I still enjoyed it just as much as when I was little, if not more. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is a literary treat for all ages.

The poems are funny and sincere at the same time. I really enjoyed each and every poem. The drawings are also really good. Just to give you a little taste of my Silverstein's work, here's the very first poem I heard from this book when I was little called, "Hat." And it goes a little something like this:

Teddy said it was a hat,
So I put it on.
Now Dad is saying, "Where the heck's
the toilet plunger gone?"

That's only a SMALL taste of the wonders you will find in this book. My other favorites are "Hat," "Dancing Pants," "I Must Remember," "Warning," "Who," and "The Land of Happy." I'm sure there are many more, but that's all I can think of right now. Bottom line: EVERY poem is great.

Although this is really great for kids, I think this is something EVERYONE would enjoy. Young or old, "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein is a fine read. One of my favorites.

(If you liked this one, check out "A Light in the Attic." Very good book as well.)



Would you like to meet Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout who would not take the garbage out? Or Dirty Dan, the world's dirtiest man? Accept Shel Silverstein's invitation to come inside his delightful book full of outrageous poems and drawings. The unpredictable and humorous actions of each crazy character grabs readers' attention, keeping them engrossed in each poem, and craving for more. Elementary school-aged children will fall over laughing at Peggy Ann McKay's desperate attempt to avoid school, claiming, "I have the measles and the mumps, a gash, a rash, and purple bumps. My mouth is wet, my throat is dry, I'm going blind in my right eye." Silverstein's use of rhyme and nonsense verse combined with his constant humor captures the reader. His simple pen-and-ink drawings add to the imagery presented in each poem. The reader not only sees, but feels lazy Jane's dry mouth as she waits for it to rain. The application of alliteration, assonance, and consonance makes each poem a delight to read out loud; "For I've been down to the edge of the world, sat on the edge where the wild wind whirled." Some poems not only depict an array of humorous characters, but also create touching moments and offers good advice. Silverstein suggests playing hug o' war, rather than tug o' war, and assures young readers that, "Anything can happen, child, ANYTHING can be." Children ages nine to twelve will enjoy reading these well crafted poems that portray both ludicrous and poignant messages. 

More Jewish Books Videos

No comments: